Twinning project cycle
Identification of Twinning project
Beneficiary country identifies requirements within the framework of national policy orientations and requirements, in line with the European Union policies, and drafts project proposals.
Call for Proposals
Circulation of Twinning project fiches to EU member states through their National Contact Points
Submission of Proposals
Member State – alone or in a consortium with another Member State – prepare(s) and submit(s) its offer with designated Twinning advisor and Project Leader, including detailed elaboration of the proposed way of achievement of Twinning project’s targeted results.
Selection of Twinning Partner
Beneficiary country performs evaluation of received project proposals. After presentation of proposal by Member State(s)’ team members (not applicable for Twinning Light), beneficiary country makes final selection of Twinning partner.
Preparation of Work Plan and Twinning contract
Member State and beneficiary country jointly prepare Twinning contract with detailed Budget
Review and Approval of Contract
Competent administrative authority in beneficiary country (Twinning Administrative Office: CFCA) and European Commission review and approve Twinning contract, including Work Plan. Twinning contract is signed by all contracting parties
Short Term Experts in cooperation with experts from beneficiary institution, coordinated by Resident Twinning Advisor and his counterpart from beneficiary institution, through management by Project Leader, implement the activities and achieve the results defined by Twinning contract
Monitoring and Reporting
Competent administrative authority in beneficiary country (Twinning Administrative Office; CFCA) and EU Delegation monitor Twinning project implementation through quarterly reports and final report and organizing regular meetings
Project Review Missions
Project review missions are implemented 6 -12 months after completion of Twinning project for the purpose of assessment of the sustainability of project results, analysis of lessons learned, as well as dissemination of best practice
Twinning project is subjected to audit in line with the order of the European Commission services, i.e. OLAF and European Court of Auditors
Twinning Implementation System in the Republic of Croatia
- Ministry of Regional Development and EU Funds conducts programming within the scope of relevant pre-accession programme. Programming is the process of development of multi-annual programmes in the framework of individual financial instruments (CARDS, PHARE, IPA).
- Programming is conducted in line with strategic, i.e. programming documents of the European Commission (Accession Partnership, regular Progress Reports, EU Enlargement Strategy), as well as national strategic documents of the Republic of Croatia (Programme of the Government of the Republic of Croatia for the Adoption and Implementation of the Acquis Communautaire and National Development Strategy). Programming is conducted after performing status analysis of the country and government policies’ objectives
- After completion of programming phase, the process of determination (identification) of project ideas and preparation of concrete Project Fiches commences. Projects must be determined within the framework of aforementioned strategic documents. During identification of projects within the framework of institution building, it is required to determine whether the objective will be achieved more efficiently through technical assistance or by Twinning project. Moreover, project could be developed as independent project or could be a part of larger project (e.g. with supply project, technical assistance etc.).
Preparation of Twinning Project Fiche
- Based on drafted overall project fiche, beneficiary institution prepares Twinning project fiche. CFCA performs quality control of Twinning project fiche and ensures proper application of Twinning procedures, harmonization of prospective project with Stabilization and Association Agreement, Accession Partnership, and Programme of the Government of the Republic of Croatia for the Adoption and Implementation of the Acquis Communautaire
- Twinning project fiche defines final objective, project purpose, as well as the results and activities of specific project. Project fiche must be drafted in line with Twinning Manual. Moreover, it must contain the description of current situation in specific sector and the field which should be strengthened through the project
- After approval of Twinning project fiche by CFCA and Delegation of European Union to the Republic of Croatia (DEU), the fiche will be circulated to the National Contact Points for Twinning of all EU member states with stated deadline for submission of offers (project proposals)
- Member State institutions submit their offers for participation in Twinning project through their own National Contact Points
- Evaluation and selection of submitted offers is performed by Evaluation Committee which consists of CFCA representatives (non-voting Chairman and non-voting Secretary) and representatives of beneficiary institution with voting rights (odd number of voting members, in most cases three). Mandatory Evaluation Committee voting members are Project Leader from beneficiary institution and RTA counterpart in beneficiary institution
- After selection of best offer and approval of Evaluation Committee’s decision by DEU, Twinning contract is being drafted by Twinning partners: beneficiary institution from the Republic of Croatia and member state institution
- Twinning contract must be drafted in accordance with the rules defined by Twinning manual, which is determined during quality control performed by CFCA and subsequent ex-ante approval by Delegation of European Union to the Republic of Croatia
- Followed by approval of Twinning contract by CFCA and DEU, each Twinning contract must be approved by Steering Committee from the Headquarters of the European Commission*
* The aforementioned contracting process is applicable for Twinning contracts. Twinning light contracts are prepared by CFCA after completion of the evaluation procedure. After obtained approval by DEU, Twinning light contract is signed by contracting parties.
Implementation of Twinning contract
- Project Leaders from member state and beneficiary country organize implementation of project activities and cooperate in monitoring of implementation. Resident Twinning Advisor from member state, who resides in beneficiary country during execution of project, provides support to Project Leaders in ensuring realization of mandatory results and coordinates an entire implementation of activities related to Twinning project
- Project implementation is monitored by CFCA and DEU (as the authority which endorses the contract) through participation in project monthly and quarterly meetings, as well as through analysis of quarterly and final reports prepared by Project Leaders
- After completion of implementation of project activities (6 -12 months after completion), Twinning project are followed up by review mission for the purpose of determination of sustainability of project results, analysis of lessons learned and dissemination of best practices